I was a college student at Portland State.
I was single.
I was 21.
I was working at SWCC - and my boss was telling everyone that we - a community center - would be attacked next.
I had no idea what was happening - why were we being attacked.
The only real memory I have of this day is my Grandpa Geck calling and making sure we were watching the news. I was and I asked him if this was the end of the world. I - much like everyone else in the U.S. - didn't know what it really meant for our country to be under attack. My Grandpa had lived through Pearl Harbor - the last time our country was really attacked. My Grandpa told me that everything would be fine, that this wasn't the end of the world.
Today, my Uncle Sam called to tell me that he remembered me calling him and asking him what would happen to the WTC's and he told me they would probably collapse. Within 10 minutes of our conversation they began to fall.
In 10 years so much has happened - we have experienced great recession's and possibly a great depression - that has yet to be determined. I have a child, I had a job I loved and lost it, I have h=gone through great emotional and psychological turmoil. Things are starting to look up.
No comments:
Post a Comment