Total Pageviews

Monday, November 25, 2013

Little Dragon

I was inspired to write this poem about a student I had in my class a long time ago.  I wrote this while participating in the Oregon Writing Project.  It is funny how much a person's life can change in 4 years, the great part is the poem I posted below this one was also written at OWP and I guess I followed my dream in the poem.  I just have to keep remembering to live my life for me and Maggie.

Little Dragon

I see my father walk away,
his hand raised as he
loads the helicopter and flies to Iraq.
For me, my childhood is gone.

This dragon I draw breaths fire on the bad people in Iraq.
He will keep my dad safe, I think.

My mother is crying her tears can be
heard through two doors.
The noise keeps me awake.
I feel sad.

The dragon I see is kind, it loves my mom and protects
our house from bad, while dad is gone.
I worry.

The alarm goes off, I hop out of bed,
dress, eat, brush teeth, do chores and
I am out the door.

The dragon breathes yellow fire.
It protects me and watches over me.
I feel safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment