Total Pageviews

Friday, May 13, 2011

Writing Prompt 2/30

"Electricity is a recent discovery.  Think of 12 things to do when there is now power."

Twelve things to do when there is no power:

 1.  Light candles - use them for reading, meditating playing board games, or setting a mood.
 2.  Play with Maggie, without worrying about looking for a job, checking facebook, etc.
 3.  Take Sam and Maggie for a walk.
 4.  Fold laundry
 5.  Take a nap with Maggie and Sam
 6.  Read a book to Sam and Maggie
 7.  Roast marshmallows over candles :)
 8.  Journal
 9.  Tell stories
10.  Show Maggie her baby book, my baby book
11.  Go to the park and swing
12.  Eat ice cream - it would be a shame if it went to waste :)

2/30 "In 400 words, create your ideal place."


My ideal place is my old apartment, in particular the bedroom.  It’s not my ideal place because it is beautiful or wonderful, but because it is a place I love.  My old bedroom was small, it had a funky smell, but it was warm, and it was well lit, I could lie in bed reading a book, watching television, hanging out and always felt comfortable and safe.
My bedroom was thirteen by thirteen with an average size closet.  There was a large window facing east – I was awoken every morning by the bright sunlight shinning in.  I could hear the cars driving by as people were leaving Stayton heading to work in Salem, I could hear the children laughing and chatting as they walked to school.
My room held my bed, two night stands and a large dresser (with my TV on top).  I love my bed!!  I have had this bed for way to long, it is probably time to get a new bed but it is so comfy.  It is a queen sized oversized mattress.  It is super soft; when I lay on it I sink into it.  My bed has moved every time with me it is a heavy mattress – people hate helping me move because of the weight of this mattress.  I would never trade this mattress for anything!
The nightstands in my room are eclectic, one is new I bought it at Home Depot and put it together myself.  It is on my side of the bed.  On the other side of my bed is an old nightstand, I don’t remember where it came from but it is oversize – maybe it was supposed to be an end table but I have made it into a nightstand.  I don’t use it very often because it is on the other side of my bed.  But when I do use it works.
The reason I love this space the most is because it was my own space – the last place I will ever live that is just mine.  I didn’t share it with anyone, no one ever spent the night there, and rarely did I have guests.  It was simply mine.  When I moved from this apartment I was sad.  It wasn’t perfect but it was my space, a space where I grew as a person, teacher and where I became a mom.   I miss my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment